Residents say the warehouse, which has been derelict for decades, is an “eyesore” and that tighter security needs to be in place to stop it becoming “a magnet” for vandalism and graffiti and a “dangerous” place for young people to break in and explore.
Conygar Investment Company bought the 38-acre plot between London Road and Manvers Street in 2016 for £13.5m, with plans to transform the warehouse into a creative hub akin to Birmingham’s Custard Factory.
The plans also includes building more than 1,500 homes, a five-star hotel and canalside bars and restaurants on the wasteland known as Boots Island in Nottingham’s Eastside.
But residents are calling for developers to make haste and submit a planning application to stop the site becoming a dangerous playground for young people to explore.
Greg Feltham, 58, chairman of Sneinton Tenants and Residents Association, told the Post he was aware of three different websites where groups had posted pictures and video of themselves inside the building.
He added: “People are giving advice on how to get in the building. It is an eyesore and a magnet for vandalism and graffiti and is dangerous.
“I think development is well overdue. This development site is one of the most historic buildings we have left.
“It could be a really top-class venue.
“Putting a perimeter around the building such as strong security fencing is probably the only thing that can be done.”
Tom Hughes, 46, acting chairman of the Sneinton Neighbourhood Forum, which represents local residents and businesses, added: “It is certainly of concern to us.
“It is an important part of Nottingham’s heritage and it is important to preserve, but it has been derelict for decades. It has become an eyesore and a safety concern.
“The owners of the site need to secure the property so people cannot get in. Over the years there have been a few cases of people being in the building and bodies being found there.”
Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said they have had five calls to the site in the last three years, which has included casualties stuck inside and fires started.
A spokesman for the service said: “The service was called at 6.51pm on Saturday initially to assist the ambulance service.
“Three fire engines from London Road and Highfields, an aerial ladder platform from London Road and a technical rescue unit from Highfields attended.
“Two people were trapped in the building at height. The aerial ladder platform was used to rescue a casualty from a third-floor window – a rope rescue was also involved.
“Firefighters used ropes to transfer the casualty, in a basket stretcher, from the window to the aerial ladder platform cage before they were brought down and handed over to the ambulance service.
“Another individual was also helped down from the third floor on a 13.5 metre ladder. Both were uninjured.
“The incident had been dealt with and handed over to the Police by 8.43pm.”
Nuisance caller rang Nottingham’s ambulance control room 740 times in three months East Midlands Ambulance Service said they received a report that “someone was unconscious” at the derelict building and sent its Hazardous Area Response Team, a paramedic in an ambulance car and a crewed ambulance.
One patient was taken to Queens Medical Centre. Police said no reports of trespass had been made but that the security at the site have been made aware of the incident.
A spokesman for developers Conygar Investment Company said: “We are aware of an incident that took place on Saturday, April 28.
“The incident was handled by the on-site security team and the emergency services, and we will continue to be vigilant in ensuring the safety of the site.”
The Post asked what security measures are in place at the site, but the company did not want to comment.
The warehouse has had a chequered past. In 2005 two murdered women – Katie Baxter and Zoe Pennick – were found in the derelict remains. And in 1998, most of the inside of the building was destroyed by a large fire.